Reality check… your basement has flooded! If your home has suddenly encounter emergency flooding, and now you’re rushing to find a crew for basement cleanup and repairs… try not to panic! From water leaks trickling into a sump pump overburdened by rainwater, most basements can be saved with professional flood remediation.
The upcoming storm season in Michigan annually poses serious risks of emergency basement flooding. Too often, homeowners encounter storm damage and flooded basements from as early as March to as late as October. Acting on the issue immediately and calling the water cleanup experts here at Duo Care Cleaning & Restoration is going to save you time and money in the long run.
The last thing you might expect as a homeowner is something as drastic as a flooded basement. Whether you have your eye on the forecast or not, heavy rainfall can put some major pressure on our homes. From minor leaks to a basement completely submerged in water, the water remediation experts at Duo Care can help bring your home back to normal.
In the meantime, there are a few things you can do to stop any further damage or mishaps from happening once your basement floods. Let’s go over some important things to do once disaster strikes.
Cut the power in the basement. Go over to your main electrical panel and cut the power going through the basement. The last thing you want is to create even more hazards in the house like an electrical fire starting from the basement.
Pick whatever items up from the floor. If you have boxes and stowaways tucked in your basement, you will want to check these items eventually once the flooding disappears. If you are able, you should try and move as many things upstairs or onto shelves to prevent these items from being completely ruined. If the flooding is too deep, quickly call Duo Care so we can survey the area.
Look for leaks or causes of the flood. If you are able while waiting for help to arrive, take a look around the basement to see if there are any noticeable signs of how the flood might have started.
Below is a list of common occurrences that can cause the flooding of your basement.
- Sump pump malfunction. Floods can most commonly happen during a severe thunderstorm when the power goes out. Due to this, electrical sump pumps that are meant to protect your home from flooding will lose power, as well. Additionally, heavy rain can cause aged sump pumps to overwork and malfunction. This issue may not be resolved until the rain stops.
- Structural damage. Over time, the foundation of your home will show its age by cracking, bowing, and shifting in place. If there is an unnoticeable crack or crevice in your foundation, water will find its way through it. This could be an ongoing issue that only takes a heavy storm to break its way in.
- Old or damaged footing drains. Footing drains lie underneath the foundation of your home to keep water away from the foundation underground. However, as time goes on, these systems clog and regular unclogging and maintenance are required. If you try to unclog your footing drains to no avail, you may need to get these drains snaked.
- Clogged downspouts and gutters. This kind of infrastructure on the exterior of the home is designed to flow rainwater off and away from your home. If you haven’t cleared your gutters and downspouts of leaves and dirt, they progressively become clogged and can cause a variety of draining issues. Plus, make sure your downspouts are directed away from your home to prevent rainwater from seeping in through your basement walls.
- Sewage backup. Sewer backups can be a result of sewers overflowing during the storm or can be caused by roots clogging the piping. Ultimately, heavy rainstorms are going to put your plumbing systems to the test. The older the infrastructure of your home is, the more likely you may encounter such issues once a heavy rainstorm hits your home.
Get Duo Care on the phone. We are IICRC certified in water mitigation and structural drying with the goal to save, dry, and clean as much property as possible. This reduces tearing out and replacing expensive building materials. In most cases (unless severe damage has occurred), we can save, dry, and clean your carpet, drywall, floor padding, base molding, cabinets, hardwood floors, upholstered furniture, and more.
Click here to learn what to do if you have a water emergency in your home and are in need of our 24-hour water damage restoration services.
Duo Care Cleaning & Restoration: Home Remediation & Carpet Cleaning Services in Shelby Township!
Duo Care is the professional business and home carpet cleaners you need to provide the cleanest and healthiest air quality in your home. In addition to being the leading home carpet cleaners, we also do area rug cleaning, tile and grout cleaning, hardwood floor cleaning, upholstery cleaning, and flood restoration, all while providing a personable experience.
Contact Duo Care for the best carpet cleaning services around! Give us a call today at (586) 315-6585, or schedule an appointment online!